Universal Credit

The Child Element of Universal Credit can continue to be paid on behalf of home educated young people over the age of 16 when they meet the conditions for being treated as a “qualifying young person.” This page should be read in conjunction with my page on post-16 Child Benefit https://edyourself.org/child-benefit/

Government Guidance

The government issues Guidance on UC which is regularly updated. Read more here https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/universal-credit-information-sources/ The Rightsnet website maintains an A-Z list which can be found here https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/universal-credit-guidance

The relevant Chapter in the DWP Guidance is Additional Amounts For Children which was last updated in March 2023.

The Guidance explains that a home education course is where the young person is receiving tuition or supervised study (including – although not specified – by a parent)

“Child or Qualifying young person is aged 16 and over

A claimant must notify Universal Credit if a child is going to continue in full-time non- advanced education or approved training after the age of 16. This is so they can continue to receive the additional amount for a child and the Disabled Child Addition if appropriate.

Child or qualifying young person in home education

Universal Credit will include the additional amount for a child for any eligible children in home education until either of the following occur:

  • the end of August following each child’s 16th birthday
  • the end of August after each child’s 19th birthday if they are still living at home and in home education taking a non-advanced course or taking part in approved training.”

For the Claimant to qualify for the additional amount for a child, the following must be taken into account:

  • the education must have started before the child 16th birthday
  • the education must exceed an average of more than 12 hours per week during term time and must include receiving tuition, engaging in practical work or supervised study or taking examinations.
  • the home education must not be a form of further education or contract of employment and must be approved by the local authority or Secretary of State.

Life skills courses are classed as non-advanced education and are considered for eligibility for the additional amount for a child.”

Source = Page 12 DWP Guidance Additional Amounts For Children via this page

Approved Education

As set out on the GOV.UK page on 16-19 Child Benefit, home education is a type of “approved education”